Recent Updates: The New School plans to re-open its New York City campus for in-person teaching and learning in fall 2021. Learn more.

  • We look forward to the prospect of being together again on campus this fall. Our first priority will continue to be the health and safety of our community. 

    Beginning with the fall 2021 semester, The New School will require all new and returning students (with the exception of those who receive approved medical or religious exemptions) to be fully vaccinated. This policy will cover all undergraduate and graduate students in all programs who intend to be on our campus for any period of time. 


    To help ensure a safe and healthy learning environment, students must be vaccinated in order to access campus spaces during the 2021 - 2022 academic year. All students, except those with approved exemptions, will be required to submit an electronic copy of their COVID-19 vaccination documentation before they arrive on our New York City campus. More information about this process will be provided soon. 

    We strongly encourage international students who have access to vaccines approved in their home countries to get vaccinated as quickly as they can. Following CDC guidance, vaccines authorized by the US FDA or for emergency use by WHO will be accepted by The New School. Further details are included in this FAQ

    Vaccination Submission Deadlines

    All students are required to submit proof of vaccination to the university by August 1, 2021 in order to have access to New School buildings and services for the upcoming academic year. Below are key dates to help you get vaccinated and begin the semester on time.

    On or before July 4First dose of Moderna, AstraZeneca, Sinopharm or Covishield vaccines
    On or before July 11First dose of Pfizer/BioNTech or Sinovac vaccine
    By August 1Second dose of Moderna, AstraZeneca, Sinopharm, Pfizer
    Single dose of Johnson or Johnson/Janssen vaccines
    By August 1Last day to upload proof of vaccination or request a medical or religious exemption

    Students who were registered in spring or summer 2021 must submit proof of vaccination or request a medical or religious exemption via the Student Health Services (SHS) portal.

    All other students, including those requesting medical or religious exemptions, will receive instructions about how to submit their documentation in the coming weeks.

      Proof of vaccination, testing status and daily health screening results will be linked to your New School ID card and allow you to access campus buildings and services in the fall. 

      For more information about how to submit your vaccination data, please visit our COVID-19 Vaccine Submission FAQ.

      Faculty and Staff

      Faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated before returning to campus. To ensure that everyone can receive their vaccinations without having to use accrued leave, the university is providing one full day of paid COVID vaccination leave. If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact the Benefits Office at

      You can find more information about our vaccination policy in this FAQ.

      Getting Vaccinated in New York

      As of April 6, people who are 16 or older and currently living, studying or working in New York State are eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. If you think you are eligible, please complete this New York State form to find a site to be vaccinated, or click here to find New York City (NYC) vaccination sites. 

      The following websites will help you locate a vaccination site and schedule an appointment:

      Additionally, New York State (NYS) and New York City (NYC) have each launched hotlines which may be used by eligible members of the community to schedule a vaccination appointment:

      • NYC: (877) VAX- 4NYC (1-877-829-4692)
      • NYS: (833) NYS - 4VAX (1-833-697-4829)

      International Students & U.S. Citizens Living Abroad

      International students and U.S. citizens living abroad who have access to vaccines authorized in their home countries should get vaccinated as quickly as they can. Vaccines approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA), or any vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) will be accepted by The New School. The university will work with those students who are unable to be vaccinated prior to arrival in the United States.

    • Contact Us

      Admitted Students & Families

      New & Continuing Students

      International Student & Scholar Services

      Student Health Services

      Academic Advising
      Contact Your Advisor

      Student Support & Advocacy 

    • Read More

    Submit your application


    To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

    Undergraduate Adult Learners

    To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


    To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.