As you design your path of study through the Arts in Context concentration, you consider what you hope to learn through your selected combination of fields. You also customize your curriculum and project work to ensure your path of study aligns with your future goals including plans for advanced graduate study. Arts in Context students make inspired connections between disciplines and advance integrated scholarship through a wide range of pairings, including:
- Contemporary Dance + Psychology
- Contemporary Music + Anthropology
- Theater + Writing
- Visual Studies + History
In addition to taking Lang courses for electives, Arts in Context students can broaden their studies with courses in other parts of The New School, such as Parsons School of Design and the College of Performing Arts.
Connecting to New York City
While it offers the atmosphere and intimacy of a small college, Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts is part of The New School, a major progressive university in New York City. Students concentrating in The Arts in Context benefit from:
- Working associations with the city's theater world, including a long-standing partnership with La Mama Experimental Theater
- A dance, music, and theater faculty of artistically adventurous professionals who actively perform in the city
- Institutional partnerships with major museums and cultural institutions located nearby
- Local internship opportunities in theater, dance, radio, television, music, museums, and more
Education at Lang is designed to develop engaged citizens who are thoughtful, articulate, and creative. Arts majors concentrating in Arts in Context majors work in a wide range of fields including performance, visual arts, media, journalism, arts administration, and graduate study in related fields. They start their own business, join startups, work in social media, publicity, web design, and development. They also work as writers, visual artists, musicians, reporters, actors, educators, teaching artists, and in the fields of human rights and social advocacy.
Outcomes at Lang