The Data Visualization minor is offered through Parsons School of Design.
This minor explores data visualization as a tool for depicting perspectives of information. It prepares students to understand ways data is collected and analyzed, teaches them how to think critically about their findings, and presents industry-leading
approaches to translating content for multiple audiences. Students in the minor learn to communicate information clearly and effectively, stimulate and encourage viewer engagement, and investigate complex data sets in a critical way.
The Data Visualization minor requires successful completion of 18 credits across four subject areas, as outlined in the chart below.
Course availability may vary from semester to semester. Some courses may be in development and offered at a later time. Students seeking to pursue alternative coursework to fulfill the minor should consult with their advisors.
*Students who have already completed one of these courses, or will do so for their major, should instead select another course in the subject area Information Design and Mapping.
A student who has completed this minor should be able to demonstrate:
- An understanding of basic design knowledge, history, research principles, concepts, media, and formats of a data visualization project
- Competence in identifying, defining, and analyzing elements used in information design and applying them to create a rich synthesis of information and hierarchy using visual design principles
- Extensive knowledge of mapping as an expression of visual thinking and ability to apply it to visual communication projects
- An understanding of large data sets and ability to apply different data visualization techniques, with usage of software/applications
- Competence in gathering and organizing usable data and presenting it in a way that provides a unique and critical perspective on the chosen subject matter
- Competence in project organization skills and a professional attitude related to the professional practice of communication design and data visualization
Minors are available to all undergraduate students at The New School. For questions regarding this minor's curriculum, including requests for course substitutions, please contact Aaron Hill, Assistant Professor of Data Visualization, at [email protected].
How to Declare or Change a Minor
General guidelines for declaring a minor are available here. Current students can declare or change a minor by logging in to my.newschool.edu, clicking on the Academics tab,
and then clicking on the link to Major/Minor Declarations.