The Sustainable Cities minor is offered through Parsons School of Design.
This minor looks at the social sustainability of urban life, community-based design practices and processes, and the multiple scales of the modern city. In the minor, the environmental resilience of cities is regarded as an essential element of urbanism.
Students learn design process and methodologies, including sketching, drawing, and making, along with diverse ways of learning about and engaging in the urban space. The minor anticipates collaborative community-based initiatives and activity, as
well as creative explorations at multiple physical and phenomenal scales.
The Sustainable Cities minor requires successful completion of 18 credits across five subject areas, as outlined in the chart below.
Course availability may vary from semester to semester. Some courses may be in development and offered at a later time. Students seeking to pursue alternative coursework to fulfill the minor should consult with their advisors.
*Students needing introductory art/design skills are strongly encouraged to choose one of these course options.
A student who has completed this minor should be able to demonstrate:
- Competence in describing and responding to design problems in urban settings and ecosystems
- Competence in creating and developing visual form in response to design problems, including an understanding of principles of visual organization/composition and application
- An understanding of the physical, cognitive, cultural, and social human factors that shape design decisions
- An understanding of tools, technologies, and materials, including their roles in the creation, production, and use of visual forms, including both traditional and digital media
- An understanding of design history, theory, and criticism
- An understanding of basic professional practices, including the ability to organize design projects and to work productively in teams
- An understanding of ecological literacy and innovative uses of environmental resources
The Sustainable Cities minor is available to undergraduate students across The New School, with the exception of students enrolled in the BA in Urban Studies.
For questions regarding this minor's curriculum, including requests for course substitutions, please contact the interim point person, Brian McGrath, Professor of Urban Design, at [email protected].
How to Declare or Change a Minor
General guidelines for declaring a minor are available here. Current students can declare or change a minor by logging in to my.newschool.edu, clicking on the Academics tab,
and then clicking on the link to Major/Minor Declarations.